- INDUSTRY TRENDS
Mobile Shopping Hits New Black Friday and Cyber Monday Records
Consumer spending reached impressive new heights this Black Friday and Cyber Monday. According to Adobe Analytics data, holiday shoppers spent $9 billion on Black Friday and $10.8 billion on Cyber Monday alone — a new record for the largest US online shopping day ever. But let’s not forget one of the shining stars of these record-breaking shopping days: smartphones. Let’s take a look at some major online shopping and shopping app wins during this hot retail period.
- According to Adobe, online spending increased 22% year-over-year on Thanksgiving Day, hitting $5.1 billion and a new record
- On Black Friday, online spending also increased by 22% and hit $9 billion
- Cyber Monday spending rose 15.1% year-over-year and topped $10 billion, making it the biggest online sales day in US history
- 40% of online sales on Black Friday and 37% percent of Cyber Monday sales were made on mobile devices
- Mobile shopping app installations hit a new single-day record on Black Friday, with around 2.8 million downloads
- Shopping app downloads reached 59.2 million across the US Apple App Store and Google Play between Nov. 1 and Nov. 29 (15% increase from 2019)
It’s no surprise that holiday shoppers took to their smartphones to stay safe and avoid crowds during the pandemic. US consumers have gotten more comfortable with making purchases on their smartphones, and many retailers have begun offering more online, in-app, and BOPIS (buy online pick-up in-store) options. Because of this digital shift, mobile app marketers and developers have spent time improving shopping app functionality and the overall shopping experience on mobile, along with increased efforts to reach and engage users with special in-app deals leading up to Black Friday.
What were consumers shopping for? According to Adobe, sales increased in top e-commerce categories, including smartwatches which increased by 606% from the average daily level in October, smart-home devices (up 592%), personal care items (up 556%), grocery (up 397%), auto parts (up 269%), and pet products (up 254%).
Take advantage of the current holiday shopping momentum to drive installs and sales in your shopping app. Check out our 2020 Holiday Shopping Guide for Mobile App Marketers, or connect with our team today.